Moving BIND from Solaris to Linux

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Mon Oct 1 14:35:34 UTC 2012

The reason I did the full discussion is that many shops are moving from proprietary UNIX (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX) or Windows to Linux solutions.    If they are moving much infrastructure but just starting with BIND then he needs to consider what I wrote.

Also I don't really agree that Ubuntu is the best solution.   One could run CentOS which has no subscription fee but is binarily compatible with RHEL then download and compile BIND for it.    In an organization using Solaris they presumably have "professional administrators" and are more likely to find folks with RHEL experience when hiring staff that will fill totally comfortable with CentOS.   If continuity and staffing aren't considerations and this is truly going to be a one off he could use Suse or Slackware or any one of a thousand Linux distros (or even one of the *BSD distros - since BSD is where Solaris came from originally).

If it's a one off "best" is truly subjective.  There are many people that detest Ubuntu and many people that love it -though the din from the former seems to have overwhelmed the latter since Unity desktop and other moves by Canonical :-)