Moving BIND from Solaris to Linux

Barry S. Finkel bsfinkel at att.net
Wed Oct 3 02:46:48 UTC 2012

On 10/2/2012 4:26 AM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:
> The reason I did the full discussion is that many shops are moving from proprietary UNIX (Solaris, AIX, HP-UX) or Windows to Linux solutions.    If they are moving much infrastructure but just starting with BIND then he needs to consider what I wrote.
>
> Also I don't really agree that Ubuntu is the best solution.   One could run CentOS which has no subscription fee but is binarily compatible with RHEL then download and compile BIND for it.    In an organization using Solaris they presumably have "professional administrators" and are more likely to find folks with RHEL experience when hiring staff that will fill totally comfortable with CentOS.   If continuity and staffing aren't considerations and this is truly going to be a one off he could use Suse or Slackware or any one of a thousand Linux distros (or even one of the *BSD distros - since BSD is where Solaris came from originally).
>
> If it's a one off "best" is truly subjective.  There are many people that detest Ubuntu and many people that love it -though the din from the former seems to have overwhelmed the latter since Unity desktop and other moves by Canonical:-)

When I was managing a DNS server and we wanted to move from Solaris to
Ubuntu,
I looked at an Ubuntu package.  It contained GeoIP, which we did not
need.  And I wanted
the latest BIND for DNSSEC support/enhancements.  We had been compiling
from source
on Solaris, so I continued to compile from source on Ubuntu.  That way I
knew EXACTLY
what I was running.  I do not remember what other patches were installed
by the Debian/
Ubuntu team.
--Barry Finkel