Unintended Consequences; I shut down the wrong bind.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Oct 3 15:35:54 UTC 2012

I set up a new name server for one of our domains on a test IP
address. As a final act before shutting it down, I changed all
instances of the test IP address to that of what will be the
production IP address including /usr/local/etc/rndc.conf so that
when it next comes up, it will be the production system.

	The problem is that an ancient server presently runs
bind on that address

	I gave the new box a shutdown -p command at a time about
5 minutes in the future and just after it went down, the phone
rang with a coworker telling me that bind had stopped on the old
box, also.

	Could shutdown have triggered rndc to give a stop
command to bind? The way I had things set on the new box,
rndc.conf would have sent the command to the old system.

	I probably should have rndc.conf set to localhost so it
doesn't accidentally do what it appears to have done today.

	Had I not changed the server address in
/usr/local/etc/rndc.conf, it would have sent the stop command to
the correct instance of bind.

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick