error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving

James Tingler James.Tingler at CONTR.NETL.DOE.GOV
Fri Oct 12 16:28:22 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm getting what appears to be a common "error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving" error.  My research has lead me to disable IPv6 when starting the named service with "named -4" as it could be related to IPv6 broken connectivity (of which we been actively deploying and testing).  This has taken away the AAAA log activity but I still get the error:

Oct 12 16:06:55 prod75-dns1 named[23866]: error (unexpected RCODE REFUSED) resolving 'nbc.com/A/IN': 205.173.93.213#53

Exploring this more, almost all domains I'm having problems with (as discovered through dig) is related to this forwarder:
nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns5.ultradns.net. nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns1.ultradns.net. nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns2.ultradns.net. nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns6.ultradns.net. nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns3.ultradns.net. nationalmap.gov. 5M IN NS rdsdns4.ultradns.net.linkedin.com, nbc.com, nationalmap.govAlso having problems with CNN but that is not ultradns.Note - I'm also seeing plenty of lame server and EDNS errors. Any help would be appreciated.