BIND 9.9.1-P4 is now available

Fr34k freaknetboy at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 16:40:23 UTC 2012

Hello Again,

I could have made my question a bit more clear as I try to understand the details behind what P4 addresses.

Perhaps I am having an internal battle between logic vs. interpretation around "or".  Let me explain.

I'm wondering if a named process affected by CVE-2012-5166 has symptoms of both (1) "not respond to queries" and (2) "not respond to control commands" at the same time, all the time.  If that is the case, then P4 will not address my issue as I am only seeing (1) and so there may be another bug affecting BIND stability which I would like to report.

Thank you.

>________________________________

10 OS) hung and I want to be able to qualify the symptoms in order to
convince others that P4 (or 9.9.2?) will (or will not) address this.

>Let me define what "hung" means in our experience:  We find that named is
running but will not respond to queries, "rndc status" will respond with output but that output shows that named is not processing any queries
(see below), other rndc commands appear to work as well (e.g., "rndc dumpdb").

>From what I understand, P4 offers this known bug fix:
>

>*  A deliberately constructed combination of records could cause named
>   to hang while populating the additional section of a response.
>   [RT #31090] -- CVE-2012-5166: Specially crafted DNS data can cause a lockup in named
>

>Additional details are mentioned in
https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00801/74/CVE-2012-5166%3A-Specially-crafted-DNS-data-can-cause-a-lockup-in-named.html:  "A nameserver that has become locked-up due to the problem reported in
this advisory will not respond to queries or control commands."

>So, our hang issue qualifies for the "...will not respond to queries";
however, it seems that our issue does *not* qualify for the "... will
not respond to... control commands" piece if the responses from "rndc"
are considered control command.

>Thoughts?
>

>Thank you.
>

>$ rndc status
>version: 9.9.1-P3
(version.bind/txt/ch disabled)
>CPUs found: 2
>worker threads: 2
>UDP listeners per interface: 2
>number of zones: 36
>debug level: 0
>xfers running: 0
>xfers deferred: 0
>soa queries in progress: 0
>query logging is OFF
>recursive clients: 0/3900/4000
>tcp clients: 0/100
>server is up and running
>

>$ time host www.google.com 127.0.0.1
>;; connection timed out; no
servers could be reached

>real    0m10.035s
>user    0m0.017s
>sys
0m0.017s
>$ time host localhost 127.0.0.1
>;; connection timed out; no
servers could be reached

>real    0m10.034s
>user    0m0.017s
>sys
0m0.017s

>$ truss -p 17657
>/4:
lwp_park(0xFE9AFD48, 0)
(sleeping...)
>/3:
lwp_park(0x00000000, 0)         (sleeping...)
>/1:
sigtimedwait(0xFFBFFBE8, 0xFFBFFB68, 0x00000000) (sleeping...)
>/2:
lwp_park(0x00000000, 0)
(sleeping...)
>/5:
ioctl(8, DP_POLL, 0xFE98FF80)   (sleeping...)