Delegations

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 18:15:16 UTC 2012

On 31/10/12 17:12, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:
> I have a zone file for example.org that has entries for a subdomain
> l2.example.org like this:
>
>          vpn.l2     IN A    10.1.2.3
>
> Now they want to add a subdomain below l2, ie. ad.l2.eboces.org with hosts
> such as dc.ad.l2.eboces.org

You terminology is a bit confusing here. "subdomain" is imprecise.
Specify what *zones* you want, and where you want the delegations, and
it should be easy to see what will work and not.

example.org SOA
www.example.org     A  <- hostname, in example.org zone
vpn.l2.example.org  A  <- hostname, still in example.org zone

ad.l2.example.org   NS <- delegation point in example.org zone
xx.ad.l2example.org A  <- glue, *still* in example.org zone

...and of course then the SOA & zone contents for "ad.l2.example.org"

> In the zone file for example.org, I can add NS and glue records for
> ad.l2.example.org as this:
> dc.ad.l2                  IN A 10.2.3.4
> dr.ad.l2                  IN A 10.4.5.6
> ad.l2                         IN NS dc.ad.l2.example.org.
> ad.l2                         IN NS  dr.ad.l2.eboces.org.
>
> Will this work,

Yes, if I've understood what you want.

> or do I need to delegate l2.example.org before I can delegate ad.l2.example.org?

No. Zone cuts can be at any label inside a zone.