Delegations

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Oct 31 21:31:49 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 5:15 PM, Phil Mayers wrote:
> On 10/31/2012 06:51 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> It may or may not be strictly necessary to do this depending on
>> everything else you have in the zone, but it's safer in the long term to
>> do it this way.
>
> Are you suggesting it's best of the OP creates "l2.example.com" as a
> sub-zone?
>
> Why it this necessary / safer?
I know of at least 2 commerically-available DNS maintenance systems
that, by default, do not allow what they call "dotted hostnames", by
which they mean a name which is at least 2 labels below a zone cut, e.g.
"foo.bar" in the "example.com" zone. Their underlying assumption seems
to be that *every* level of the hierarchy will, in the
usual/typical/default case, be delegated.

I don't agree with this assumption in the slightest, but some people are
afraid of changing default behaviors...