Delegations

Chris Thompson cet1 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 22:01:04 UTC 2012

On Oct 31 2012, Phil Mayers wrote:

>On 10/31/2012 06:51 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> It may or may not be strictly necessary to do this depending on
>> everything else you have in the zone, but it's safer in the long term to
>> do it this way.
>
>Are you suggesting it's best of the OP creates "l2.example.com" as a
>sub-zone?
>
>Why it this necessary / safer?

It certainly isn't necessary. We have plenty of zone cuts more than one
label deep into the parent zone. And of course such delegations are
*extremely* common in the reverse lookup trees, with the IPv6 one
probably providing records for the number of labels between cuts.

I don't see how "safer" would apply, either.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 at cam.ac.uk