Root hints updates

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Sep 6 14:29:01 UTC 2012

Timothe Litt <litt at acm.org> wrote:

> Until someone authoritative tells me that BIND manages the hints file on its
> own, I'm taking the conservative route and letting my tool run....
> BTW, I do have systems that come on-line every 5 years or so.  Automation is
> good :-)

Well, I'm not authoritative, but I don't have a root hints file on my
systems. Instead I rely on the hints built in to named, which get updated
when I update BIND. Also it doesn't matter if the hints are out of date
since the root name server list changes very infrequently and you only
need one of them to work for named to start OK.

Tony.
Forties, Cromarty: East, veering southeast, 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first.
Rough, becoming slight or moderate. Showers, rain at first. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor at first.