Issue with Minumum Value for named9

Robert JR roundcube222 at alaadin.org
Fri Sep 21 12:26:36 UTC 2012

Thank you very much.. this helped alot ..

Thanks again Jeremy

JR wrote:

>> i have the minimum value in my dns server as 60 mins,
and my TTL is 60 Seconds , but still when users hit a non exist record ,
the other dns hold the negative cache for 60 secs instead of 60 mins ..
? why ? $TTL 60 @ IN SOA NS1.TEST.BIZ. Abuse.TEST.BIZ. ( 201208281 ;
serial, todays date + todays serial # 8H ; refresh, seconds 2H ; retry,
seconds 4W ; expire, seconds 1H ) ; minimum, seconds ; Although my
configuration above, all DNS servers that query my server, cache the non
exist record for 60 seconds only and not 60 mins As mentioned in my
configuration ? any ideas why ?

> See RFC 2308 in regards to Caching
Negative Answers about how the auth
> server returns an SOA for a
NXDOMAIN:

> ``When the authoritative server creates this record its
TTL
> is taken from the minimum of the SOA.MINIMUM field and SOA's
TTL.''

> It used the the smaller TTL.
>
> I often see the reverse --
for example, the SOA's TTL is 7200 and the
> MINIMUM is 3600, so the
returned record (in the auth section) has the