No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

MS DNS is sensitive to configuration problems, but I need
help determining the nature of the DNS configuration problem
related to retroweb.com.  I should point out that either of
retroweb.com's two nameservers (ns2.adamovsky.com
and ns1.internic2000.com) return NS records in alternating
order on successive calls.  One of the two name servers
will respond authoritatively, but the other will not.  Is it
appropriate for a nameserver to not respond authoritatively
but then to list itself as an authoritative source?

Example:

  >retroweb.com

  Server:  NS2.ADAMOVSKY.com
  Address:  209.67.4.130

  Non-authoritative answer:
  retroweb.com    nameserver = NS2.ADAMOVSKY.com
  retroweb.com    nameserver = NS1.INTERNIC2000.com

  NS2.ADAMOVSKY.com       internet address = 209.67.4.130
  NS1.INTERNIC2000.com    internet address = 209.67.8.6

This would appear to me to be a loop.

Note that a subsequent retroweb.com lookup will result in
the two nameservers being returned in the reverse order,
which would explain why MS DNS will occasionally translate
this domain (but only after a  cached result of the first
variety expires)

If you respond by e-mail, please remove the "-nospam-x" from
my e-mail address.  Thanks.

Kipp Teague
Information Technology Services
Lynchburg College