No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

immediately.  From inside the organization it takes "too long" (say, a
minute or so) -- long enough that we're getting complaints.  If, from inside
the organization, you put the IP address in the browser, you get the page
immediately.  If, from inside the organization, you put in www.ftb.ca.gov
<http://www.ftb.ca.gov> , you get it immediately.

Before we started looking into this, my PC, from which I was testing it, and
which runs NT workstation, had nothing for domain or DNS Service search
order under TCP/IP protocol properties.  I added the domain (ftb.ca.gov) and
our (internal) primary and secondary name server IP addresses, and I was
confident that this would solve the problem.  However, having the domain
name and DNS name servers in my system doesn't help at all.

tracert (from "DOS") waits a long time (about a minute), then shows the
resolved name/IP ( www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov
<http://www.taxes.ca.gov.ftb.ca.gov> ) and 2 hops: 10ms to the first router
and 10 ms to the second router, then fizzles out.  traceroute from a Unix
machine waits about a minute, then shows the resolved name/IP and 3 hops:
1ms/1ms/1ms to the first router, 1ms/1ms/1ms to the second router, and
1ms/1ms/2ms to the firewall.

Why does it take so long to get the name resolved?  At first I thought maybe
it was going to the other agency to resolve the "ca.gov", but based on the
results from traceroute, it looks like it's resolving here.  Does it have
something to do with the duplicated "ca.gov"?  Is that confusing BIND?

I get the digest, and would very much appreciate it if anyone answering
would cc my e-mail address:  ann_stewart at ftb.ca.gov
<mailto:ann_stewart at ftb.ca.gov> .

Thank you.
Ann Stewart