No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

delegated to my ISP's servers, ns1.continet.com and ns2.continet.com. Also, I'm
able to do a zone transfer of 65.163.206.in-addr.arpa from my ISPs DNS servers
and can clearly see PTR records for all of my addresses, even the ones that I
can't resolve.

A couple things I've noticed while troubleshooting:

1) I get some inconsistent results from dig. "dig @ns1.continet.com -x
206.163.65.85 ptr" always returns NXDOMAIN, but "dig @ns1.continet.com -x
206.163.65.90 ptr" works. "dig @ns1.continet.com -x 206.163.65.85 any" works and
so does "dig @ns1.continet.com -x 206.163.65.90 any". When I do a zone transfer
from ns1.continet.com there is clearly a PTR record for 206.163.65.85. Could
there be some corruption in the zone file screwing up that line? Why on earth
would this not be affecting people outside of my network?

2) There seem to be some lame nameservers in the soa for 65.163.206.in-addr.arpa
returned by ns1.continet.com, but I don't really see how that would be playing a
role in this particular problem. Or could it?

3) ns1 seems to running bind 4.9.5 (!), and ns2 8.2.3. While I wouldn't
personally run 4.9.5 at my site I don't really see how that would be part of
problem particularly since I get the same response from the one running 8.2.3.

I would happily entertain any suggestions about what could be causing this.
Thanks, and sorry for the long post.

Glenn
glenn at elaw.org