No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

Section 6.4. Do I need to define an A record for localhost ?
Date: Sat Sep 9 00:36:01 EDT 1995

Somewhere deep in the BOG (BIND Operations Guide) that came with
4.9.3 (section 5.4.3), it says that you define this yourself (if
need be) in the same zone files as your "real" IP addresses for
your domain. Quoting the BOG:

... As  implied by this PTR
         record, there should be a  ``localhost.my.dom.ain''
         A  record  (with address 127.0.0.1) in every domain
         that contains hosts.  ``localhost.'' will lose  its
         trailing dot when 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa is queried
         for;...

The sample files in the BIND distribution show you what needs to
be done (see the BOG).

Some HP boxen (especially those running HP OpenView) will also
need "loopback" defined with this IP address. You may set it as a
CNAME record pointing to the "localhost." record.