No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

[...snip...]
#
# If this machine is configured to be an Internet Domain Name System (DNS)
# server, run the name daemon.  Start named prior to: route add net host,
# to avoid dns gethostbyname timout delay for nameserver during boot.
#
if [ -f /usr/sbin/in.named -a -f /etc/named.conf ]; then
        echo 'starting internet domain name server.'
        ulimit -n xxxx                 <============== Add here
        /usr/sbin/in.named &
fi
[...snip...]

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> From: "Don Byington" <donby at synopsys.com>
> To: "Bind-Users (E-mail)" <bind-users at isc.org>
> Subject: named[299]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] xfer vfork: Resource temporarily
unavailable
> Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 08:40:47 -0800
>

> Bind Users;
>
> I have been running this configuration on this server( Sun Enterprise 420R
> (2 X UltraSPARC-II 450MHz), 2048 MB memory installed) for a year now and
> have only seen this behavior when I use nsupdate to update/rebuild the
> entire zone. Recently though, through the onslaught of W2K client installs
> and the impending AD/DNS dominion we have started seeing this and it appears
> to be due to the number of client updates. NOTE: The only systems allowed to
> update the zone are the Bind servers and the DHCP server, all of the client
> update requests get rejected.
>
> I don know that the vfork message relates to not having the system memory
> available to spawn the process. The "out of processes" would indicate a full
> process table, however I have yet to see more that about 60 processes
> running at one time.
>
> The current messages file starts Nov 3. Here is the denied update count
> since then to Nov 14 (today).
> aorta 96# grep "denied update from" messages | wc -l
>    16958
>
> Once this point is reached I have to an 'l1a' on the box, and reboot.
>
> Nov  6 02:05:00 aorta genunix: [ID 792718 kern.warning] WARNING: out of
> processe
> Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta last message repeated 14 times
> Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta named[299]: [ID 295310 daemon.error] xfer vfork:
> Resource
> temporarily unavailable
> Nov  6 02:05:02 aorta genunix: [ID 792718 kern.warning] WARNING: out of
> processe
> Nov  6 02:05:33 aorta last message repeated 27 times
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
> Has anyone fixed this before?
> Does anyone know if Bind 9 sees this?
>
> If you want more info please ask for what you'd like to see.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don
>
>  __________________________________________________________________
> |Don Byington                 |                                    |
> |Hillsboro IT                 |                                    |
> |                             |  Don't make me come down there.    |
> |Synopsys, Inc.               |                                    |
> |2025 NW Cornelius Pass Road  |                          -God      |
> |Hillsboro, OR 97124          |                                    |
> |Phone: 503.547.6223          |                                    |
> |Email: donby at synopsys.com    |                                    |

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.

You can have it done good, fast, or cheap -- pick any two.