No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

Due to various issues, I've considered doing this :

ns1 is a master/primary

ns2 is a master/primary (I think I have my terminology a bit messed up)

ns2 rsyncs /var/named/ and /etc/named.conf every so often from ns1 and then reloads itself.

Is there anything wrong with doing this?

I'm running this currently (for the past day or so) with no apparent problems. It just feels a
little "wrong".

On a more philosophical tangent...

I think what is really wrong is my understanding of what a slave nameserver is.

Is it true to say that a slave really only exists to allow automated updates to a nameserver you
don't necassarily have full acceess to - for example a peer nameserver who agrees to be your slave
and can get updates from your master nameserver through zone transfer, etc.

Is it true that a client has no idea if the server they are talking to is a master or slave?

I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks for any advice, comments, etc.