No subject

Tue Apr 2 00:56:56 UTC 2013

we can resolve:

[c:\etc]dig @192.168.11.11 -t soa earthlink.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2-P1 <<>> @192.168.11.11  -t soa earthlink.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;earthlink.net.                 IN      SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
earthlink.net.          1800    IN      SOA     itchy.earthlink.net.
hostmaster.earthlink.net. 2006092203 3600 300 2592000 1800

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
earthlink.net.          1800    IN      NS      itchy.earthlink.net.
earthlink.net.          1800    IN      NS      scratchy.earthlink.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
itchy.earthlink.net.    154455  IN      A       207.69.188.196
scratchy.earthlink.net. 154455  IN      A       207.69.188.197

I'm not sure why, but the request for just SOA records above also returns to
the name server records, followed by the name server's IP addresses.

I issue the same dig command on cox.net, I get a pur timeout with:

[c:\etc]dig @192.168.11.11 -t soa cox.net

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2-P1 <<>> @192.168.11.11 -t soa cox.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options:  printcmd

Using a sniffer on the server I am digging to, what I see are cox.net SOA
records, and I also see NS records.   I don't put together how those get
there, but they do.

It's a mystery to me why dig sees nothing for cox.net, when the resolver on
192.168.11.11 is getting at least partial information on the domain.

How much of what is being returned above is given to the resolver by the
root server (or its equivalent)?   If I could understand how the sequence is
supposed to work, and who is responsible for handing out what information
prior to contacting the domain's primary name servers, I could check if
there is some server

--
Will

news:efsc6m$bdk$1 at sf1.isc.org...