rate limit dns query response ...

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Apr 4 12:51:39 UTC 2013

> From: prakash <prakash at nic.in>

> We are using bind 9.x on linux and would like to create rate limit for DNS
> query from any users ie 10 query per second. Can anyone guide us ....

I would:
    1. read http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits
    2. read the new ARM text about RRL by following the link labeled
      "Draft text for BIND9 Administrators Reference Manual (ARM)"
       on http://www.redbarn.org/dns/ratelimits
    3. fetch one of the BIND releases and matching patches on the
       page in the link labeled "Patch files for BIND9" and then
       build and install them.  I would probably use BIND9 9.9.3b2.
    4. add something like this to named.conf
        rate-limit { responses-per-second 5; };

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com