Simple question about zone and CNAME

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Apr 8 21:58:54 UTC 2013

In message <5162E2A1.7000003 at att.net>, "Barry S. Finkel" writes:
> On 4/8/2013 9:10 AM, bind-users-request at lists.isc.org wrote:

> > Which is exactly the opposite of what our AD guys said, but not with
> > such great conviction.:-)
> >
> > Sam
>
> AD clients, if they do not know about SRV records for finding the
> LDAP servers, will use the "A" records for the AD domain to locate
> the Domain Controllers.  Where I used to work we did not segregate
> AD, so internally,
>
>       example.com
>
> pointed to the Domain Controllers.  Externally,
>
>       example.com
>
> had no IP address because the DCs were not accessible from the
> external Internet.  When we had the DC addresses externally, then
> AD clients would see the addresses, try to authenticate to the AD,
> experience timeouts, and get frustrated.

Do the AD clients to the correct thing with the "no service offered"
SRV record (e.g. "SRV 0 0 0 .")?  It is designed to stop fallback to
A/AAAA records when the service is explicitly not there.

RFC 2782
        A Target of "." means that the service is decidedly not
        available at this domain.

If they do there should be no confusion with the use of address records
between AD and HTTP/HTTPS.