Simple question about zone and CNAME

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 9 03:51:06 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 06:54 AM, Sam Wilson wrote:
> In article <mailman.61.1365232319.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>   Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
>> On 04/05/2013 11:53 PM, Novosielski, Ryan wrote:
>>
>> | It is funny you should mention that... my questions about using views
>> | to create a situation where one single record is different happens to
>> | be exactly for this reason. The Active Directory administrators were
>> | saying that not having umdnj.edu point to an Active Directory server
>> | was bothering the AD servers in some fashion. The solution we're going
>> | to test is telling the AD servers that umdnj.edu are them, but telling
>> | everyone else on the planet that it's www. We think this will do it,
>> | but haven't tested yet.
>>
>> Much better to put the AD stuff in its own subdomain, like ad.umdnj.edu.
>> AD DNS is only really happy when it runs the whole show for its "home"
>> domain. It's possible to do otherwise, but really painful and fragile.
>
> We've been running our main domain with the underscore domains delegated
> to AD for well over a decade and it's been neither painful nor fragile,

You apparently missed the context of the response. :)

I didn't say "impossible," and I've set it up the way you describe in
the past. But it assumes both an initial and ongoing level of clue that
is not always available. Whereas, "put all the AD stuff in its own
subdomain" is both pain-less, and has other advantages.

Doug