Simple question about zone and CNAME

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Tue Apr 9 03:58:01 UTC 2013

On 04/08/2013 06:42 AM, Sam Wilson wrote:

>> material
>>>
>>> Yes, sadly I've lost that technical battle with marketing several places
>>> now.
>>
>> And then there's theses folks:
>>
>> http://no-www.org/
>
> Is co-opting high-level name space for a single protocol a modern-day
> landgrab?

Is holding on to the antiquated notion that every protocol needs a
unique hostname charmingly anachronistic, or just plain obstructionist?
(See what I did there?)

For bonus points, list the number of services running on your typical
server configuration, and then tell us how many of them have their own
hostnames. Start with dns, ssh, and ntp. Then describe how you
differentiate your SSL web service from your plain text version. Bonus
points if you're running ipp, nfs, or kerberos with their own unique
hostnames on the same system.

The point being that the world moved on, and putting websites on
hostnames that don't start with www. is the common case now. Can we save
our energy for something more productive?

Doug