ANNOUNCEMENT: New BIND versions are available.

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Sat Apr 13 14:00:14 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----

From: Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us>
Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:34 AM
To: "bind-users at lists.isc.org" <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCEMENT:  New BIND versions are available.

>Michael,
>
>Thanks for this announcement, and a welcome change.
>
>Given the following:
>
>1. bind-announce is very low volume, and carries only critical
>information that the community needs to know
>2. Currently all posts to bind-announce are duplicated to the other lists
>
>Wouldn't it make sense to 'sort -u' the membership of the 3 lists, call
>that the new bind-announce, and give people a 1-time message about how
>to unsubscribe if they don't want to be there?
>
>I applaud ISC's desire to not subscribe people to lists willy-nilly
>without their permission, but given the specific circumstances here you
>may have over-engineered the solution a bit. :)
>
>Doug

I don't get why expecting to receive announcements on -announce is so
surprising.  People that don't get that likely don't keep BIND updated
anyway.  ;-)

I'm not too passionate either way...currently getting ~6 (one per version,
per list) announces each time a new version comes out is something I've
been dealing with for years.

However, a question to ask might be how other OSS projects do it.  People
used to managing OSS will generally be on several lists with -chat,
-users, -announce, etc.  POLA.