Internernal view is answering to external ping

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Thu Aug 1 17:58:43 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> > Post your*full*  config not half of it.  How the hell do you expect
> > people to identify problems unless you give them the neccessary
> > details.
> >
> > Do you give you car mechanic only access to the boot when you have
> > a engine problem?
> >
> > You said you created views yet you didn't send anything that
> > described
> > how the views were configured.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Also, be sure to change any "secret" authentication string
> so that it is not archived for the world to see.
> --Barry Finkel

Did I miss something... what does ICMP ping have anything to do with bind?

You can even ping computers when the system is otherwise completely unresponsive.  And, bind doesn't do anything that would affect network interfaces behave.... (a host based firewall would though....)

This sounds more like a network configuration problem..... my guess its a dual homed server, and the internal IP is its primary interface and its responding with primary rather than the same IP.  Alternatively, its a NAT situation...and the NAT isn't doing translations of the ICMP correctly?

Lawrence