Internernal view is answering to external ping

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Fri Aug 2 11:42:37 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On 1 August 2013 18:58, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. <lkchen at ksu.edu>
> wrote:
> > Did I miss something... what does ICMP ping have anything to do
> > with bind?
>
> Yes, you missed the actual question. The use of the word 'ping' is a
> misnomer, what he really meant to say that from a host on the
> internet
> he is receiving an internal 192.168.x.x IP address as the response
> (he
> pinged a FQDN which in turn does a lookup to obtain the IP). Without
> seeing the full config (which has been asked for) it's pointless
> speculating on possible reasons for this as there are quite a few.
>
> Steve

so totally a red herring....

yet...the thing that is weird is that if he's ping'ing from the Internet side and getting the internal IP, how does ping succeed in sending and receiving 3 packets?

VPN?

Anyways, at this point...I would speculate the problem is this:

>acl internal {
>        localhost;
>        200.57.66.77/28;
>        192.168.0.0/23
>        };

since typical example of doing this kind of thing might be:

view "internal" {
  match-clients { internal; }
  // view statements
  zone "mydomain.com" {
    type master;
    // private zone file including 192.168.x.x hosts
    file "mydomain.com.hosts.lan";
  };
  // additional zone clauses
}

view "external" {
  match-clients { any; }
  // view statements
  zone "mydomain.com" {
     type master;
     // public only hosts
     file "mydomain.com.hosts";
  };
  // additional zone clauses
}

And, that he's only testing from another IP in 200.57.66.64/28

Since ping times are really short too.

Lawrence