Validation succeeds when keys with multiple algorithms present, but not RRSIGs for both

Scott Morizot tmorizot at sd.is.irs.gov
Fri Aug 2 11:46:32 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I ran into an interesting situation resolving dfas.mil. It appears that
they have attempted to roll their ZSKs to algorithm 8 while leaving their
KSKs on algorithm 7. Unfortunately, RFC 4035 specifies that if DNSKEYs
for multiple algorithms exist in the apex DNSKEY RRset, then an RRSIG for
each record set in the zone MUST include at least one RRSIG for each
algorithm. (The distinction between KSK and ZSK is an operational
convenience and not part of the standard, per se.) The relevant excerpt
from Section 2.2 of RFC 4035:

   There MUST be an RRSIG for each RRset using at least one DNSKEY of
   each algorithm in the zone apex DNSKEY RRset.  The apex DNSKEY RRset
   itself MUST be signed by each algorithm appearing in the DS RRset
   located at the delegating parent (if any).

DNSViz and Verisign's DNSSEC debugger correctly report the error.

http://dnssec-debugger.verisignlabs.com/dfas.mil

http://dnsviz.net/d/dfas.mil/dnssec/

However, I discovered when I checked against DNS-OARC ODVR (and my own
personal validating recursive nameserver at home) that BIND 9 apparently
doesn't correctly enforce that requirement.

https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/odvr

The BIND 9 resolver returns an answer with the AD bit set. Unbound
returns SERVFAIL. Secure64 Caches also return SERVFAIL. Those are the
only three nameservers I've tested.

It looks like a validation bug in BIND to me, but I thought I would see
what others thought. It's probably a pretty rare situation, since I can't
imagine most people who choose to use separate KSKs and ZSKs would try to
migrate only their ZSKs to a new algorithm while leaving their KSKs at
the old algorithm.

Thanks,

Scott