Reverse Records on a leash?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 20:49:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Steven Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 August 2013 18:26, Eduardo Bonsi <beartcom at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > Why should we be subjected to the ISP for reverse when we already have a
> > static ip and are paying for the internet account, that by the way it is
> not
> > cheap or catered to small business?
>
> Simple answer... the ISP is the owner of the IP address space, not
> you. You pay for a service which provides you with a static IP, but it
> isn't your IP address as far as the registries are concerned.
>
> Steve

"Ownership" of the address space is only maginally tied to DNS delegation.
Just becuase the space is delegated to you does not mean you own it.

That said, a CNAME will work internally, but not externally as the
delegation chain will pass through your ISP and they will return an
authoritative response with whatever data they have unless that data is
delegated to your server.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com