dig ignores +notcp when doing IXFR (DiG 9.5.0-P2)

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Dec 5 06:37:22 UTC 2013

In message <C60198C7-B559-4E7D-BBCB-E3BA5168779A at conundrum.com>, Matthew Pounsett writes:

> On 2013-12-04, at 21:22 , Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>

> > The options are processed left to right so the +notcp has to be
> > after the ixfr=<serial>.
>
> There are two reasons I don't understand why this is the case.
>
> 1) Since there is only one query in the command, I don't understand why
> "left to right" matters.  If you could do something like
> dig IN IXFR=<serial> example.com +notcp IN A www.example.com +tcp
> then sure.. because changing the order of options would be ambiguous, but
> you can't do that.

Because tcp mode isn't a tri state (unset, true, false) but a boolean
and ixfr=<serial> changes it the default (false) to true.  IXFR is
documented as setting TCP mode.

> 2) dig is generally very forgiving of argument order, so I don't see why
> the location of +notcp would be any different.

In these examples the arguments are independent of each other and
set a single thing (even +short).  The are others that set multiple
things.

> > dig +short @8.8.8.8 IN A cbc.ca
> 159.33.3.85
>
> > dig @8.8.8.8 IN A cbc.ca +short
> 159.33.3.85
>
> > dig IN A cbc.ca +short @8.8.8.8
> 159.33.3.85
>

> > Note, named will for the use of TCP in its UDP response.

	s/for/force/

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org