Delegation and Forwarding

Bob McDonald bmcdonaldjr at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 12:10:31 UTC 2013

I'm a bit confused on the need for a blank forwarders statement inside of a
zone statement in the named.conf file.  Given an internal zone on a
recursive server with global forwarders, what are the situations which
would require me to code a blank forwarders statement inside of a zone
statement in a named.conf?  I have internal zones which 1) do not delegate
children, 2) delegate children on the same server, and delegate children on
different servers (and different versions of bind).  I know that delegation
is not affected on servers without global forwarders.  The documentation
around this is not clear (at least to me <grin>).

Is there a difference if the parent is local and the child is forwarded?
 (or both forwarded but to different addresses?)

Thanks,

Bob