injecting a temp entry into dns cache

Jeff Reasoner jeff.reasoner at mail.hccanet.org
Sat Feb 2 23:59:26 UTC 2013

Interesting. Intentionally "poison" your own cache so your users aren't
inconvenienced by anothers misconfiguration. Not sure how you go about
doing that on box. Perhaps bigger brains on this list can say.

I have had occasion to forge answers locally as an immediate fix for
name resolution issues which caused significant operational problems.

I elected to add the zone in named.conf and answer the query correctly
(and authoritatively) until I could get the owner to correct things. You
will probably need to add other zone records too - MX and any other A
records you can think to search for.

Personally, I wouldn't consider doing something like that in this
situation as you've described. However, mere inconvenience as I perceive
it may be significant your view.