Slaving from DNS masters behind LVS

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Feb 13 13:11:07 UTC 2013

Nick wrote on 02/12/2013 10:00:27 PM:

> We have a pair of DNS servers running BIND behind a direct routing LVS
> director pair running keepalived.  Let's call these two DNS servers A
> and B, and the VIP V.

Several years ago I was lucky enough to take the ISC class on bind. One of
my questions going into the class was about using a load balancer in front
to our name servers.  We have two VMs for internal resolution and two more
for external.

The instructor said not to use a load balancer as the DNS protocol had the
resilience to handle a server going down and the load balancer adds to the
complexity of troubleshooting problems.  We had never had a problem with
either BIND crashing or network issues making them all unavailable, so the
load balancer was really a solution looking for a problem.

Recently, we had to take the slave name servers (1 internal, 1 external)
down to move the VMs to a different storage pool.  There were no issues
with everyone continuing to use the masters only.

My current goals are to restructure our DNS, but load balancing is not in
the future here.

--

Bill

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.