chroot/etc/named/ directory?

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Feb 13 19:18:20 UTC 2013

On 02/13/2013 01:44 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Haven't done it on RHEL/CentOS 6.x yet but in RHEL5 with the bind-chroot installed I've always had:
> /var/named/chroot as the jail for BIND.
> /var/named/chroot/etc = Location of global config files such as named.conf
> /var/named/chroot/var/named = Location of the zone files.

These I am use to and have used them for years.

> I don't see a /var/named/chroot/etc/named in RHEL5 but then again that is based on BIND 9.3.  RHEL6 is almost certainly based on a higher upstream version.   Since CentOS is built from RHEL source it would have that higher version as well.

Yes. I am going from Centos (RHEL) 5.5 to 6.3, so the new directory just
has me wondering. I found it also as /etc/named/ so it is part of their
base bind rpm, but no documentation on what they expected to be place
there. Just here is something new and I want to know why so that I am
not supprised.