Building a fresh named.root

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Feb 14 13:35:47 UTC 2013

The Centos 6.3 bind and bind-chroot do not seem to come with a
named.root.  Does have a named.ca, though.

So from my old named.root.hints include (also not provided; where did I
get this?) I tried:

wget ftp://ftp.rs.internic.net/domain/named.root

And got a nice looking named.root  last updated 1/3/2013, with nice
comments on who use to run the various root servers.

Then I tried:

dig . ns @198.41.0.4 > named.root

I see where this addr is the A root server, anyway, the response did not
have A records for B, E, I, J, or L !!! And of course no AAAA records
for I, J, or L.  It has NS records for A thru M.

What went wrong here?

Which do I use?