Building a fresh named.root

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Feb 14 14:34:32 UTC 2013

On Feb 14, 2013, at 9:28 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> On 02/14/2013 09:05 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
>> BIND now comes with a baked in roots file (in the imaginatively named lib/dns/rootns.c )
>
> Not (at least by that name) in the Redhat/Centos 6.3 bind 9.8.2.

Nope -- it is in lib/dns/rootns.c in the source code tree….

When BIND is compiled into a binary this gets baked in….

You can verify this by running strings on the binary. E.g:

wkumari$:~$ strings /usr/local/sbin/named | grep A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
.                       518400  IN      NS      A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     3600000 IN      A       198.41.0.4
A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.     3600000 IN      AAAA    2001:503:BA3E::2:30