Building a fresh named.root

Shawn Bakhtiar shashaness at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 14 16:49:50 UTC 2013

Running bind rooted on FC 16 using the standard package.

The ca file is located in /var/named/chroot/var/named/named.ca

The hints are not built in.
[shawn at www ~]$ strings /usr/sbin/named | grep A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
returns nothing.

Centos is RedHat EL (free version) which is a stable version of fedora Core + proprietary extras ?? They may have re-imped bind differently but I doubt it.

If you build it from source, over a set of installed packages, you may have residual files that came with the packages, but are not relevant to you rebuild.

Bind is: