broken ISP in china

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Tue Feb 19 20:17:15 UTC 2013

On 2/18/2013 23:20, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 19.02.13 10:25, Noel Butler wrote:
>> One thing I need to point out, your SOA timings seem extreme...
>>
>> refresh 86400  drop that to 3h
>> retry 3600, drop to 900
>
> I don't see the reason for doing these, unless NOTIFY does not work,
> but in
> such case it's the NOTIFY that should be fixed...

I agree in principle. However, the costs of having a low refresh
probably aren't that significant, whereas all it takes for a NOTIFY to
get missed is a packet or three getting dropped, and having zones out of
sync might be more significant.

Or, put another way, dropping REFRESH from 24 hours to 3 hours is what,
an additional 8 DNS queries per zone, per secondary, per day? Unless
your zones normally receive only a few hundred queries a day, these
numbers are so trivial that they probably don't matter, whereas having
your secondaries return out of date responses is potentially more annoying.

Retry too seems like a good candidate to keep very low since it only
applies when there is a problem.

But in an ideal world, we've probably just spent more time talking about
it than will result in any savings from tweaking these numbers.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/