Unwanted resolver usage of /etc/host.conf

Bryan Harris bryanlharris at me.com
Sat Feb 23 21:07:58 UTC 2013

On Feb 22, 2013, at 10:28 PM, Andris Kalnozols <andris at hpl.hp.com> wrote:
> I stumbled upon the /etc/host.conf file and had to add the following
> line to get name resolution working again:
>
>  order  hosts,bind
I thought Linux should have that line by default.  Do you think someone has removed that line in the past?  Perhaps you always had a problem but it was hidden from you until the latest NTP arrived. Or maybe the new NTP is just doing something wrong.

Here is the default host.conf on the latest Slackware.  It has the line just like you needed.

http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/source/n/network-scripts/scripts/host.conf

> The other workaround was to remove "files" as a service specification
> from `/etc/nsswitch.conf', i.e., "hosts: dns".

Now this sounds like something is broken.  Because I thought the default action is 'continue' upon any type of error.  So if you previously had the default which is "hosts: files dns" then it should have worked.

Here is the default nsswitch.conf for latest Slackware.

http://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/source/a/etc/

Good luck.

Bryan