name caching and forwarding

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 26 16:07:13 UTC 2013

So now I am working on adding a name caching service to my mailserver.
And I am reading up on namecaching.  For RHEL/Centos, there is not much
to doing this as the default install of bind SEEMS to be a name caching
server.  But I want it to NOT go out on the net for queries, but to
direct all of its queries to my internal bind server.

The latter I see I need:

forwarders { 10.2.3.4; 192.168.2.5; };

But it seems that with this you need to include:

forward ( only | first );

And I am having challenges with the forward option.  It reads that
'forward only' will always ask the forwarder about the query and seems
to defeat caching?  And 'forward first' only looks in cache after a
forward fails?  This does not sound right and I am missing something in
the documentation; like forwarding ONLY applies IF the query is NOT in
cache?