name caching and forwarding

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Feb 27 02:02:22 UTC 2013

In message <512D0222.5020801 at chrysler.com>, Kevin Darcy writes:
> If all you want to do is run a private namespace, I wouldn't be fiddling
> around with forwarding at all. Set up your own root zone, propagate a
> private set of hints data, and be happy. I know that you once thrived in
> such a DNS environment :-)
>
>                          - Kevin

For private namespaces stub, slave and master zones are your friends.
Use one of these at the apex of each internal namespace.  I don't
recommend setting up your own root zone as most of the time you are
grafting on only a few namespaces.

Kevin has had to deal with hundreds of internal namespaces and the
trade off are different in those cases.  It's do you graft the world
onto your namespaces or do you graft your namespaces onto the world.
For most situations the later is less complicated and has less on
going overhead.  The root is adding more tlds more rapidly lately.
YMMV

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC