BIND roadmap

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Feb 28 00:19:01 UTC 2013

In message <OFBF91A47C.2E7C9F7C-ON85257B1F.0049DE28-85257B1F.004AA51B at e1b.org>,
 WBrown at e1b.org writes:
> Congrats to ISC and everyone that has worked on BIND 10!
>
> I am building new name servers and redesigning our infrastructure with an
> eye towards streamlining, improving security and implementing DNSSEC.  I
> had been testing a few things with BIND 9.9.x.  Now that BIND 10 is
> released, I am wondering which way to go.  Will ISC continue to develop
> the BIND 9 code stream?  I saw a mention of RRL being added to 9.10, but
> how long will development continue before hitting ESV?

BIND 10 is still a way off being a replacement for BIND 9.  Development
for both is still proceeding in parallel.  BIND 9 is still the
server to install for production.  BIND 10 is more for test
environments at this stage though we would like people to play with
it give feedback (good or bad).  As of BIND 9.9.3, BIND 9.9 will be
a extended support version.  BIND 9.9.0 was released March 2012
so it will be supported until March 2016 and perhaps further as per
the software support policy.

https://www.isc.org/wordpress/software/software-support-policy/

--
Mark Andrews, ISC