Problems with resolving a local tld

Vernon Schryver vjs at rhyolite.com
Thu Feb 28 18:31:23 UTC 2013

> From: Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at>

> Another reason not to use made-up domain names: CAs are going to stop
> issuing X.509 certificates for them. (It baffles me why they ever did so.)
> http://ssl.entrust.net/blog/?p=1831

That's another reason to publish your own DANE records including
TLSA and SMIMEA.

Also consider this comment in that announcement:
    This issue is particularly a problem with Microsoft Exchange
    users where non-FQDN names are used frequently
I wish that would be enough to get Microsoft to teach Exchange to
use DANE.

Why am I not surprised to see that the "recommended solutions" of
https://www.cabforum.org/Guidance-Deprecated-Internal-Names.pdf linked
from that Entrust.net web page mentions DANE or DNSSEC not at all but
does include some less plausible "solutions"?

Vernon Schryver    vjs at rhyolite.com