open-source tool for filter out stats from dns logs

Kumar, Naveen Naveen.Kumar at cw.com
Wed Jan 2 12:34:02 UTC 2013

Hi Gaurav,

Try following code and change as per your requirement (I used it to
capture uniqued IP address)

Create empty file "/tmp/out_log" before starting, so that values will be
stored and can be used even after log rotation.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use File::Copy qw(copy);

#Search unique IP address for DNS queries from query log.

my @val;

my $i=0;

#Read previously read IPs from file.

open (iplog, "/tmp/out_log") or die "File doesn't exists";

while (my $ips = <iplog>)

{

push (@ip_addr, $ips);

}

close(iplog);

while ($i <20)

{

open (OUT_LOG, '>/tmp/out_log');

#Copy all the logs to a separate location

copy("/var/named/chroot/var/log/named.log.$i","/tmp/named.log.$i");

#Read them one by one and capture values

open(logs, "/tmp/Non-anycast/logs/named.log.$i") or die "File:
named.log.$i doesnot exist";

while (my $line = <logs>)

{

        chomp;

        ($dt,$tm,$clt, $ip_port,$query, $tt ) = split(/\ /,$line);

        ($ip,$port) = split(/\#/, $ip_port);

        push (@ip_addr, $ip);

        }

close (logs);

$i=$i+1;

}

#Get unique IPs from the array (previous logs and current logs)

my @unique_ip = do { my %seen; grep { !$seen{$_}++ } @ip_addr };

@val = sort (@unique_ip);

print "  " . $#val . "  \n" ;

#Write it to the file again for next time.

print OUT_LOG "@val ";

#end of script

Regards,

Naveen