Distribute named.conf

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 14:44:30 UTC 2013

On 03/01/13 14:36, Warren Kumari wrote:

> Yup, have a look at Puppet.
>
> For the first while it will seem like way way more work than it is
> worth (and the whole declarative language bit makes my head hurt) but
> after investing a few hours getting things setup you'll wonder how
> you ever managed without it… Deploying a new server (or configs, etc
> to a bunch of servers) suddenly becomes trivial...

A bit OT, but we use cfengine (because puppet didn't exist when we
started doing it), but I strongly endorse the general sentiment behind
this statement; if you run any number of servers at all, a config
management tool like puppet/cfengine will transform your working life.

> Setup Puppet to distribute the file, and then have an exec action
> that does: rndc addzone example.com '{type master; file
> "master/example.com"; };'

Does puppet provide built-in facilities to synchronise events across
multiple servers, because that was a concern to the OP.