lame-servers: error (FORMERR) resolving [something]

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 14:21:29 UTC 2013

On 09/01/13 13:53, Daniele wrote:
> This is the scenario.
>
> I installed BIND9 via `apt-get` on a newly installed UBUNTU 12.04,
> virtualized on VirtualBox.
> The network works properly because if I indicate a different server from
> my own BIND9 (the first line of '/etc/resolv.conf' is, for example,
> `nameserver 8.8.8.8`) the lookups and any action on the Internet succeed.

No, this assumption is not valid.

A recursive resolver emits different queries, and different kinds of
queries, to those a client sends *to* a recursive resolver. Most
notably, EDNS is enabled and this large IP/UDP fragments can be
expected, particularly if you are doing DNSSEC validation.

Whether that's your problem I don't know. But you can't assume the
network path is good just because you can query googles public recursive
DNS.