How to measure the impact of enabling DNSSEC?

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 00:10:15 UTC 2013

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. <lkchen at ksu.edu> 2013-01-25 17:57:

I've had a very similar experience where I'm at.

> At least from the NIST presentation, I got information on how to contact somebody about these problems since its usually hard to send email to the listed RNAME.

Can you share?  It's true that usually it's some sort of email at that
same domain, but if the resolving the domain isn't working, how are you
going to get email there?

> OTOH, our domain went dark on August first of this year....because a non-DNS administrator takes care of all the registry accounts (because we don't have the authority to pay for registrations.)  And, even though the DS line I sent her had the number for RSASHA256...she picked the wrong number on the registry's site.  Not entirely sure...but got the impression that the website form said "8 - RSASHA256" so it should've been obvious.  But, I've never seen that page.  This was the first year that we have published our DS with our registry.
>
> Though things didn't break completely....because I maintain our record on ISC's DLV.  And, resolvers set to use DLV could validate our domain.  Things from my home were kind of weird, because I found out that one of my broadband connections uses DLV while the other doesn't.
>
> What was fun was that I had done a 2 month window for the KSK rollover....But, the person that updates our registry record waited to the end of July to finally update it.  I did the DLV update on July 1st.  Mainly because the year before I had used a shorter window, and I forgot to update DLV which I seem to recall required a bit of extra work to get it to validate my domain with them again.  Plus I was doing a transition from RSASHA1 to RSASHA256.  Not sure how I'm going to do rollover next year....I debating going to a longer lifetime KSK.

Our parent zone isn't signed yet, though we do have a few domains in DLV
which works pretty well from what I can tell.

There are a few brain dead resolvers out there (w3.org was one if I
recall correctly), that respect the signatures of the non-DLV zones even
though they have an incomplete chain of trust, so that's caused us a few
problems, mostly in pointing out a few of our mistakes (eg: lazy zone
delegation [1]).  Still, better to wade in than to jump in.  On the
whole DNSSEC has been largely uneventful.

Key rollover is a non-trivial task though, one that I'm still working
through automating and monitoring.

Cheers,
Brian

[1] https://www.isc.org/wordpress/dnssec-and-lazy-delegation/