Reverse address entries

Eduardo Bonsi beartcom at pacbell.net
Tue Jul 2 20:09:09 UTC 2013

On 7/2/13 12:46 PM, John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 12:02 -0700, Eduardo Bonsi wrote:
>> On 7/2/13 9:35 AM, John Horne wrote:
>>>
>>> We were alerted to the problem because we got long delays (around 20
>>> seconds) when accessing a site doing a reverse lookup. That service
>>> then, no doubt the same as with SMTP, then proceeded but without the
>>> reverse lookup answer.
>>>

>>   I do occasionally have a very short delay between
>> the main "www.mydomain" and "mydomain" but the same delay never happened
>> with the other domains/websites I am running under the same ip address.
>> I guess I could reverse my main domain to my one and only static ip
>> address and my question would be: - Does that would affect the other
>> websites I am serving using the same ip address? Thanks everyone for
>> this wealth discussion!
>>
> If you are referring to my comment above about a 20 second delay, then I
> should point out that the delay was caused because the reverse zone name
> servers were inaccessible - access to them is blocked by our firewall.
> So the client name server would try each listed name server and have to
> wait for a timeout. On average this gave a 20 second delay.
>
> It was not caused because there were no reverse zone entries to lookup.

You're right John! It has nothing to do with the reverse zone. In my
case, my server short delay is caused by the way my ISP router is
configured from the firmware through the DHCP when it switch from the
main server to the backup server. Thanks for pointing that out!

--
Eduardo Bonsi
System - Network Admin
beartcom at pacbell.net