Reverse address entries

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 5 14:34:14 UTC 2013

On Jun 28, 2013, at 3:54 PM, Ward, Mike S wrote:
> I want to thank everyone for their input. It sounds like they do
> need the reverse address entries in specific circumstances so I’m
> going to recommend that they add them.

Lack of reverse records made a big difference in the distant past.
Now, I suspect the percentage of situations is much reduced,
but of course the sheer number of users/uses of the Internet is
higher.

I have a suspicion that the deployment of IPV6 will kill off
using reverse lookups for "validation".  Of course DNS supports
IPV6 reverse records, but IPV6 poses challenges for some
DNS strategies, e.g. setting up static "placeholder" DNS records
for each address in a dynamically-addressed subnet.

John
Cornell University IT