BIND slave stops updating from master after 1-3 days

Brandon Whaley brandonw at inmotionhosting.com
Tue Jul 30 21:52:44 UTC 2013

The logs do seem to only check the first 1-2 servers in the forwarders
section when the problem is occurring.  If named is restarted on this
slave, it will check all the servers, as expected when it receives a notify.

We have our zones distributed among 5 masters to speed updates.  The
software we use that allows customers to update their zones does a direct
update of the zone file on the master server to which it is connected, then
queues a reload of named.  Once every few minutes the reload occurs on the
master, which sends the notify to our slave servers, who should check
serials on all the masters and transfer from the latest.  We do this
because the number of zones we have was causing the reload on the masters
to take too long and delaying updates to the slaves.

This system was working without issue until this slave was updated to BIND
9.8, and the slave that is still on BIND 9.3 continues to function normally.

One thing that just occurred to me is that in every case I've seen thus
far, an earlier master (say 10.0.1.1) had a zone with an old serial for the
domain in question (which has a newer serial on say 10.0.5.1).  This occurs
because we tend to move users between servers that sync to different
masters.  Could this be related to the problem?

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Steven Carr <sjcarr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 July 2013 21:38, Brandon Whaley <brandonw at inmotionhosting.com>wrote:
>
>> zone "example.com" {
>>         type slave;
>>         file "/var/named/slaves/example.com.db";
>>         masters { 10.0.1.1; 10.0.2.1; 10.0.3.1; 10.0.4.1; 10.0.5.1; };
>> };
>>

> So given what I mentioned before I would envisage BIND contacting 10.0.1.1
> and then failing to 10.0.2.1 but ignoring the rest. Is this what you are
> seeing in the logs? Or is the slave not attempting to contact any of the
> servers?
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for having 5 masters? are these
> multi-master? or are they effectively slaves that also allow zone transfers?
>
> Steve

Best Regards,
Brandon W.
Tier 3 System Administrator
InMotion Hosting Inc.

888-321-4678
757-416-6575 (Int'l)
NEW: 24x7 EMAIL and PHONE Technical Support

Did you know?
We'll Build, Update and Promote Your Site for You! Visit
www.inmotionhosting.com/webdesign
Answers to commonly asked questions, as well as other useful tools, can be
found at http://support.inmotionhosting.com

How am I doing? Please feel free to email my manager at
manager_feedback at inmotion.net