does zone trump forward?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Sun Jun 2 21:43:50 UTC 2013

On 02.06.13 15:10, Jonathan Reed wrote:
>I've only ever come across bind configs where forwarding is in place to
>locate certain zones, then all other queries are handled by either
>recursion or authoritatively. But what about the other way around, where
>I'm master for a few zones but forward the rest? Consider this:
>
>view "the-internet" {
>    recursion no;

this disables queries for any domain not specified locally.
The server will answer SERVFAIL....

>    type forward;

the "type" does not belong to view definition.

>    forwarders { 8.8.8.8; };

and forwarders are in fact useless when you have "recursion no".
They would only be used for BIND-initiated queries (e.g. used for sending
NOTIFY requests).

>    zone "example.com" {
>        type master
>        file "example.com"
>}
>
>Whats confusing me is the implied configuration setting of forward first
>when the forward statement is used. If it truly forwards first, then I see
>an odd logical scenario happening. All queries are sent to the forwarder
>before being handled by localhost. Then, once the forwarder recognizes that
>I'm the master of example.com, why would a loop not occur if the forwarder
>matches this view?

local domains are served locally. Only recursive queries are being
forwarded.

>To ask the question another way, does the zone statement take precedence on
>matching queries over any forwarding?

yes.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.