any requests

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jun 3 20:40:47 UTC 2013

In article <mailman.412.1370287583.20661.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 hugo hugoo <hugobxl at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> I see ANY queries from my clients (we do not use open resolvers)

That's strange. Client applications shouldn't use ANY queries, because
you can't be sure of which record types are in the resolver's cache.

I recall reading years ago that sendmail used ANY queries, presumably so
it could get both the MX and A record for a name in one fell swoop. But
this was wrong -- if the A record happened to be cached, there could
still be an MX record on the auth server that should take precedence,
but isn't yet cached.

> I do not see why these kind of queries are present.
> Moreover, the cache servers only anbswer with its cache content.
> Is this normal or must the cache query the authoritztive server to fetch all
> the records?

That's normal. The only time it should recurse is when it doesn't have
the name in its cache yet.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA