Health Check feature in BIND ?

Gaurav Kansal gaurav.kansal at nic.in
Mon Jun 17 07:27:43 UTC 2013

Dear All,

I was just thinking whether it is possible to have a some type of health
checking of servers through BIND DNS Server and DNS Server should replied to
clients based on that only.

i.e., Suppose I have two entries of www record for domain xyz.in having ip
address 10.1.1.10 and 10.2.2.10.

Now I want that my DNS Server should check whether the server is up or not
before replying to clients.

If one is down, then DNS server should reply the IP address of the second
one.

Although this is not a DNS Job and we should use Load-Balancer for this.

But I just wanna to check whether this feature is available in Bind or in
any Open-Source Program which in turn can be combined with BIND to achieve
the desired result.

Thanks and Regards,

Gaurav Kansal

Emp Code - 6274

Mob - 9910118448

Have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?